Laser vision correction has changed the way of life for millions of Americans, and LASIK has been at the forefront for decades. LASIK, or Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis, uses laser energy to reshape the eye’s cornea to better refract light. This makes it possible to significantly improve conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. LASIK has helped patients all over the world reduce and even eliminate the need for corrective eyewear and help them see more clearly. Dr. Michael Sumsion, our experienced LASIK surgeon is certified in iLASIK. An all-laser LASIK technology, iLASIK is one of the most advanced laser vision correction systems available. With state-of-the-art LASIK techniques, Dr. Sumsion can perform LASIK as safely and effectively as possible, providing you with an improved view of the world!
Benefits of LASIK
LASIK can help patients who have refractive errors such as nearsightedness and/or farsightedness see more clearly without heavy reliance on corrective eyewear. In fact, many patients who have obtained LASIK at Riverside EyeCare have been able to achieve 20/20 vision, eliminating their need for glasses or contacts altogether.
Candidates for LASIK
More people than ever before are now candidates for laser eye surgery thanks to remarkable and continuous innovation in treatment methods and technology. Candidates for LASIK include patients over the age of 18; those who have had a stable vision prescription for one year or longer; patients who are not experiencing eye conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma, or other eye diseases; and patients who have an adequate amount of corneal thickness to undergo the treatment. Dr Sumsion will help you to know if you are a LASIK candidate.
The LASIK Procedure
LASIK involves the careful and precise reshaping of the cornea so that light is able to focus into the eye in a much better way. Dr. Sumsion typically utilizes VISX® CustomVue™, IntraLase, and Wavefront™ LASIK technology to perform LASIK procedures. Wavefront™ technology allows Dr. Sumsion to precisely map the cornea and plan the procedure with exceptional precision. Then, once he has created a corneal flap, he will use the FDA-approved VISX® CustomVue™ laser to correct your vision. Once the laser has improved the shape of the cornea, the corneal flap is then returned to its normal position. The entire procedure is virtually painless, and usually takes only minutes to complete.
What to Expect
- Length of Procedure: About 25 minutes or less for most patients
- Who performs this procedure?: Our board-certified Ophthalmologist, Dr. Michael Sumsion, performs all LASIK procedures
- Will it be painful?: LASIK treatments typically do not involve any pain or discomfort. Dr. Sumsion will give you anesthetic eyedrops before the procedure. After the procedure, you may experience some discomfort as your eye heals; however, this can be alleviated with medicinal eye drops, ice packs, and/or over-the-counter medications.
- What about recovery?: Some blurry vision is common after LASIK, but this should diminish fairly quickly. You may also experience some temporary sensitivity to light and excessive eye watering. Most patients who have LASIK are able to resume normal daily activities the day after treatment. Dr. Sumsion will be able to give you more detailed information on the procedure and recovery once he has evaluated your needs at your initial consultation.
- Results: The results vary with each patient; however, most individuals who have LASIK experience marked visual improvement after one day, with continued improvement in the ensuing weeks. After LASIK, you should see much more clearly without the aid of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Q: How long do the results of LASIK last?
A: Ideally, the results of LASIK should last for decades; however, natural changes of the cornea or lens may affect the quality of vision. In some cases, LASIK touch-up procedures can correct for vision changes. However, if other age-related changes occur within the eye, such as the development of presbyopia (nearsightedness) or cataracts, the use of corrective eye wear for reading or surgery to remove cataracts may be necessary to restore clear vision.
Q: How do I find out if I am a candidate for LASIK?
A: If you are considering LASIK, scheduling a consultation with Dr. Sumsion is the next step in finding out if you are a good candidate for the procedure. To make an appointment, you just need to call or email our office to reach a team member who can help you with scheduling.
Q: Why should I choose Riverside EyeCare Professionals for my LASIK procedure?
A: At Riverside EyeCare Professionals, board-certified ophthalmologist Michael Sumsion, MD offers LASIK performed using some of the most advanced laser technology available. By incorporating VISX® CustomVue™ and Wavefront™ LASIK technology, he is able to deliver customized LASIK results, which can produce the greatest degree of vision improvement. Furthermore, Dr. Sumsion has practiced ophthalmology for more than 25 years and has performed thousands of LASIK procedures and other eye surgeries.
Q: Do I have to be awake during LASIK?
A: Before LASIK Dr. Sumsion provides a small sedative pill to relax you during the procedure; however, you will be awake. In order to perform LASIK with the greatest amount of accuracy, patients must remain awake during the vision correction process. Anesthetic eye drops are applied to numb the eye, helping to prevent any potential discomfort while you are being treated.
Q: Are there alternatives to LASIK?
A: If Dr. Sumsion determines that you are not a good candidate for LASIK, you may be able to undergo PRK (another type of laser vision correction) or refractive lens exchange (RLE) to improve your vision. During your consultation, Dr. Sumsion will discuss your options and explain the benefits and drawbacks of each procedure.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Sumsion
For a free vision screening or to discuss if LASIK is right for you, contact Riverside EyeCare Professionals today.