Refractive Lens Exchange
With Refractive Lens Exchange, (or RLE), Dr. Sumsion can reduce your dependence on corrective eyewear and improve a number of vision conditions. RLE can also be very beneficial in cataract surgery procedures, helping you improve distance and/or near-vision once the cataracts have been removed. Plus, this advanced technique can serve as an effective alternative to LASIK and other laser vision correction procedures for patients who may not be candidates for those treatments, but desire the outcomes they provide.
Benefits of Refractive Lens Exchange
Nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and presbyopia are vision conditions often caused by the eye’s natural crystalline lens losing its ability to focus clearly on what we see. Refractive Lens Exchange can improve these conditions and diminish your reliance on glasses and contacts by replacing the natural lens with an artificial lens. This advanced intraocular lens (lens implant) procedure can often be very beneficial for patients with very thin corneas or corneal conditions that exclude them from candidacy for laser vision correction. RLE can also be used for early cataract treatment. In addition, patients who have lens implants eliminate the risk of developing cataracts later in life.
What to Expect
- Length of Procedure: 20 to 25 minutes or less. One eye will be treated at a time, spaced over two appointments normally in a two-to-four week period.
- Who performs this procedure?: Our board-certified Ophthalmologist, Dr. Michael Sumsion
- Will it be painful?: You will have topical anesthesia placed onto your eyes with eye drops, along with a mild sedative; there are no needles typically involved with this procedure. Most patients experience only a small pressure sensation during RLE surgery. The incision made is very small. Once the lens implant has been placed, there is usually no need for sutures because the incision will heal on its own.
- What about recovery?: Recovery from RLE procedures is typically minimal. Dr. Sumsion will prescribe antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops to facilitate the healing process. You will need someone to drive you home after the procedure. Most patients are able to resume normal daily activities the day after treatment. Dr. Sumsion will schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress.
- Results: The results of RLE will vary with each patient; however, most patients experience a significant improvement in their vision and a reduced need for glasses and contacts.
Schedule a Consultation with Riverside EyeCare Professionals
If you would like more information on our Refractive Lens Exchange procedures, or if you would like to schedule a consultation with our experienced Ophthalmologist, please contact Riverside EyeCare Professionals.