What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration is one of the major causes of blindness in people over the age of 50, and may begin to develop as early as age 40. Since there is no known cure for macular degeneration, early detection and prompt treatment are essential for preserving your vision. The symptoms of macular degeneration may include:
- Gradual or sudden change in the quality of your vision
- Blurry vision and trouble seeing fine detail
- Loss of central vision that manifests as either dark blurs or “white-out” spots
- Changes in color perception
- Straight lines that appear bent or curved
If you experience any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek out a board-certified ophthalmologist for testing and proper diagnosis. Dr. Michael Sumsion offers a number of treatment options at Riverside EyeCare Professionals that can potentially slow the progression of macular degeneration. In some instances, patients may even experience an improvement in their vision. If you believe you may be experiencing the onset of macular degeneration, please contact our office right away.